Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Best Pancakes Ever!




Last week was the kind that I hate. It was really hectic and I didn’t get to make dinner at home any night. So when the weekend rolled around and I finally got back in the kitchen, I decided it was time to make us a treat…a wonderful Sunday brunch.

I took a suggestion from the Food Network magazine to use pumpkin pie spice in pancake batter. How could I resist. Pumpkin pie spice is just a blend of spices, which I didn't have at home so I made my own with this simple recipe I found online. I’d never seen a recipe that required 2 minutes of prep time before:

Pumpkin Pie Spice
mix together:
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
Recipe adapted from Allrecipes.com

Then I used some left over buttermilk I had in the fridge from making corn bread for the pancakes and threw in some walnuts pieces:

1 large egg
1 cup all purpose flour
I cup buttermilk, shaken
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
Generous handful of walnuts

Directions:
In a medium bowl beat egg with hand beater until fluffy
Beat in remaining ingredients just until smooth
I like to add a little more buttermilk for thinner pancakes...a few tablespoons at a time

All I can say is yum. It was the perfect taste of fall. I think using real maple syrup also helped. I'm proud to say I've come a long way from the days of eating Eggos out of the freezer at my mother’s house!

No comments:

Post a Comment