Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Wedding gifts


Last night I finally broke out the Crockpot that we got as a wedding gift. My husband’s boss had made it sound like an appliance no working woman should do without so I had added it to our registry.

The verdict? I love it! I made a Chipotle Chicken Stew recipe from my Crockpot Cookbook. It took me about half an hour to get all the ingredients together in the morning and then I let the stew cook all day. Dinner was ready by 6:30 p.m. This recipe is so simple I could do it before work. And having dinner ready when I got home left me with enough time to make Martha Stewart's Buttermilk Cornbread.
.
The Crockpot is really perfect for us since our biggest problem trying to eat healthy is that we get home from work at 8 p.m. and still having to go to the grocery store and make dinner. I might add another half of a Chipotle next time to give the stew more flavor but here is the recipe I tried:

Chipotle Chicken Stew

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into cubes
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1 bay leaf
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, minced
1 medium onion diced
1 can (15 ounces) navy beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (14.5 ounces) crushed tomatoes, undrained
1.5 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup orange juice

Directions
1. combine all ingredients in a 3- 6- quart crock pot.
2. Cover. Cook on low for 7 to 8 hours, or on high for 3/5 to 4 hours. Remove bay leaf before serving.

Number of Servings: 6

2 comments:

  1. hey andrea! love the blog! chad has a crockpot that's like 10 years old, but i'm going to bust it out one of these days and make this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Giovanna. I ran out and got a cookbook as soon as we got the crockpot because I knew it would sit in the back of our cabinet if I didn't!

    ReplyDelete